Ponsse offers the most comprehensive and versatile selection of the best forestry technology in the market – for all challenges in harvesting. At the Elmia Wood 2013 fair in Jönköping, Sweden, Ponsse will introduce new and innovative forest machine technology for productive and environmentally friendly logging.
The fully new PONSSE Scorpion harvester is the latest member in the range of the world’s leading cut- to-length forest machines. Incredible visibility and steering, unbeatable stability, power and productivity – bearing the environment in mind and with minimum surface pressure. The new PONSSE Scorpion raises productivity and ergonomics in harvesting to a whole new level and sets a new standard for the driver’s working environment. The service points have been positioned keeping the cost-efficiency and comfort of the work in mind. The new 4F engine and improved hydraulics have enabled extending the service intervals from 600/1,200 hours to 900/1,800 hours.
PONSSE Scorpion is a general-purpose harvester with a powerful and eco-friendly Euromot 4F-level 6-cylinder Mercedes-Benz engine, and a large 210 cm3 working pump. And for those who need the maximum power, PONSSE ScorpionKing offers the same ergonomics with two-circuit hydraulics. In PONSSE Scorpion, the machine’s stability, the driver’s visibility, and cabin and crane levelling have been built without any compromises:
• Unparalleled visibility to all directions, in all conditions
• Levelling of the cabin and crane
• Stability of the machine
• Smooth and logical crane control
• Long-term comfort and ergonomics
Unparalleled visibility to all directions, in all conditions
• Fully symmetric crane and cabin on a single slewing ring -> good visibility to the harvester head, also at denser thinning sites
• PONSSE C50 double arm lifting boom reaches over the operator Æ the best possible visibility to all directions: front, both sides, rear and up
• Visibility does not limit harvesting: selection of felled trees, felling directions and pile locations can all be selected on terms of efficiency and quality
• Large windows with narrow pillars, including a roof window
Levelling of the cabin and crane
Scorpion offers significantly better levelling than any of its competing solutions. The axis point of lateral levelling is as low as possible thanks to the triple-frame structure so that the cabin and crane not only remain levelled, but also the sideways movement is minimised. This adds to the comfort of the driver,
and always keeps the balance point of the crane and cabin at the machine’s centre line, improving
• Unique three frame structure Æ the best possible cabin levelling
• Low axis point of levelling Æ minimised sideways movement of the driver and crane
Stability of the machine
• An intelligent stabilising system follows the position and load of the crane
• Stabilising cylinders press the rear frame and wheels down towards the crane direction, giving support to the machine while working on its sides
• Stabilising works also when driving, allowing the driver to work when the machine is moving
• A safety logic stops driving if the system recognises that stabilising can no longer keep the machine upright
It’s unbelievable how the Scorpion’s stability allows you to work!
Smooth and logical crane control
The PONSSE C50 crane with its smooth controls and logical movements is easy to adapt. As it has been built with the hydraulic parallel function familiar from the PONSSE C22 and PONSSE C44 models, it has a light and simple structure and is economical to use. The double arm lifting boom of the PONSSE C50 is fully symmetrical regarding visibility, maneuverability and the lateral point of gravity so that felling and processing are equally easy on both sides of the machine, and stability is excellent in all positions.
The parallel function of the PONSSE C50 crane is implemented with a multi-chamber cylinder which pumps oil to lifting cylinders according to the extension boom movement direction. As a result, the structure is even simpler and stronger.
• Reach PONSSE H5 or PONSSE H6: 11 m PONSSE H7: 10 m
• Lifting moment, gross 252 kNm
• Slewing moment, gross 57 kNm
• Slewing angle 280°
Long-term comfort and ergonomics
As customer feedback has proven, PONSSE Scorpion offers undistributed smoothness of working in a way that has never been experienced before. By removing all major factors that distract the flow of the work or cause tiredness for the driver, both comfort and productivity can be raised to a whole new level.
Euromot 4F-level Mercedes-Benz engine
PONSSE Scorpion is powered by a 6-cylinder 210 kW Mercedes-Benz engine that meets the upcoming emission regulations for off-road use. The engine is equipped with an SCR exhaust gas after-treatment system and cooled EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system that significantly lower NOx and particulate emissions. Benefits of the new technology include, along with a cleaner environment, a better response to sudden needs of power and better fuel economy.
PONSSE Scorpion will be in serial production starting from the beginning of the year 2014.